Sourced from: drjerrykennedy.com
About 4 years ago someone asked me if I would be willing to do a “sugar fast.” Basically all I had to do was cut out sugar from my diet for 21 days. Sure! I can do that. After all…I don’t eat a lot of sugar. Or so I thought.
Turns out I was wrong. Like so many other people, I never realized how much sugar was in the stuff I was eating every day. Bread, pasta, fruit, sauces, drinks and the list goes on and on. In fact, when I got the list of things I couldn’t eat during my 21 days I was floored. WHAT IN THE WORLD CAN I EAT?!?
To make a long story short, I made it the 21 days. The first two were the worst. I actually had a headache so bad from sugar withdrawal that I threw up in the sink before work on the second day. UGH! But after that…I felt GREAT! I lost about 10 lbs, I was sleeping better and my energy went way up too.
That was the first time I realized how addicted to sugar I was and how much my body didn’t like it. But I was so used to consuming massive amounts of sugar, so I didn’t even know. Every since then, I have been conscious of my sugar intake and I’m back to a healthy weight and feeling much better.
I also have been telling other people to do the same. But often they give me a look like I have 3 heads. HOW CAN I DO THAT!?!? Well…it’s not as hard as it may sound and you will feel a lot better. That makes it easier to keep going. But if you don’t know where to start, here are 18 simple tips for eliminating sugar from your diet. Enjoy!
- Put on your big-boy (or girl) pants and decide that you CAN do it
- Don’t buy crap with sugar in it
- Read labels (if it ends in “ose” and rhymes with “gross”…it’s SUGAR)
- Eat more meat
- If someone offers you crap with sugar in it…say “No thanks”
- Eat more vegetables
- Don’t eat bread (or eat much less)
- Drink more vegetables – if you don’t like eating them, try juicing
- Don’t eat pasta (or eat much less)
- If someone gives you crap with sugar in it…say “Thanks” (then throw it away)
- Eat fruit in moderation (yes…fruit has sugar)
- Don’t keep a stash of crap with sugar in it in your house
- Read more labels (3.5 grams of sugar = 1 packet. So 35 grams of sugar = 10 packets of sugar)
- Don’t beat yourself up if you screw up (it’s a lifestyle not a diet)
- Don’t eat corn (Corn has sugar and it’s NOT a vegetable…it’s a grain)
- Throw away the crap with sugar in it (it’s just like spoiled food…no good)
- Plug into like minded communities (LivinLaVidaLowCarb.com, FatBurningMan.com and VinnieTortorich.com [explicit language] are great places to start)
- Get up tomorrow and REPEAT