Try this healthy spin on traditionally latkas! We swap out the starchy potatoes for fresh veggies with lots of flavor!
- cups grated carrot, turnip, daikon radish or zucchini
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Coconut oil for frying
- Wrap a light weight dishtowel around 1 cup of grated vegetable at a time and squeeze as much water out as possible. In a bowl, mix grated vegetable with egg, salt and pepper. Start with the two eggs per 3 cups of grated vegetables to bind the latkes. After frying a few, add more egg as binder only if necessary.
- Heat 1/2 cup oil over medium to medium-high heat. Toss a pinch of grated vegetable in the pan – you’ll know the oil is hot enough if it starts sizzling immediately. Scoop 1/4 cup or less of grated vegetable into your hand and form into a very loose patty. Set the patty in the hot pan and press it down gently with a fork.
- Cook at least 2-3 minutes on each side, until nicely browned.
- You can keep the oven at 250 degrees and keep latkes warm inside the oven while you cook the whole batch.
- If the oil becomes dark or begins to smoke, it is necessary to dump out the oil, wipe out the pan and start fresh before frying more latkes. Enjoy!
Let us know how you enjoyed or modified the recipe, leave a comment below or send us you photos!