This recipe is a delicious and rich chocolate dessert that is not only gluten, and dairy free…..but it can also enhance your fertility and libido. Say what? The secret ingredient is Maca.
Maca is an herbaceous plant native to the high Andean Mountains of Bolivia and Peru. It is one of the only food plants in the world able to thrive at such a high altitude. Maca, and more specifically the root of the plant, has a long history as a superfood. The maca root was prized throughout the Incan empire for its adaptogenic-like qualities that enable it to nourish and balance the body’s delicate endocrine system, and to help cope with stress. It also energizes naturally, without the jitters and crashes of caffeine, and it can aid in reproductive function, helping to balance hormones and increase fertility. (source)
So what could be more perfect for women who want to increase their libido and fertility than chocolate Maca!
- 7 ounces organic dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 14 ounce can full-fat coconut cream
- 2 large pastured egg yolks
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Maca powder*
- Chop up and place the chocolate in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan add coconut milk, eggs, and salt.
- Whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Heat the mixture over low to medium heat, stirring constantly until it thickens and forms a smooth custard that coats the back of a spoon (about 10 to 15 minutes).
- Watch the custard consistently — you don’t want to overcook it. Remember: Steaming is good, but simmering and boiling are bad. If you have one, use an instant-read thermometer to make sure the final temperature is about 175°F (80°C).
- When the custard is ready, take the pot off the heat.
- Pour custard over the chocolate. Let the chocolate and custard mixture sit undisturbed for 5 minutes.
- Add the Maca and vanilla and gently stir the ingredients. Steady, slow stirring is essential for ensuring a stable emulsion.
- Divide the mixture evenly into eight 2-ounce espresso cups, ramekins or small mason jars and put into the fridge. Give it about 30 minutes to set and enjoy!
* You can get maca powder at most natural food stores.
Let us know how you enjoyed or modified the recipe, leave a comment below or send us you photos!
*Adapted from realfoodRN.com