With Canada Day just this week, we thought it appropriate to feature maple syrup! This healthy salad is full of sweet strawberries, tangy Gorgonzola cheese and crunchy pecans topped with a delicious maple balsamic dressing. Add grilled chicken or homemade croutons for a delicious summer meal.
This recipe yields 2 large main dish salads or 4 smaller side salads
- 6 cups organic baby spinach
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola or feta cheese
- 1/2 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 cup pecans (optional)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper into a blender and pulse to combine. With the blender running, add the olive oil in a steady stream until the dressing is mixed well. Taste the dressing to make sure it doesn’t need to be seasoned further and set the dressing aside.
- In a large bowl, add the baby spinach and a few tablespoons of the dressing, tossing well.
- Plate the spinach and top with the strawberries, Gorgonzola or feta cheese, avocado, red onions, pecans and croutons.
- Serve extra dressing on the side. Any leftover dressing can be stored in the refrigerator and used within three or four days.
Let us know how you enjoyed or modified the recipe, leave a comment below or send us you photos!