Get your extra healthy green fix, with a yummy bacon twist!
- 1 bunch collard greens, kale, spinach – washed and chopped
- 6-8 slices bacon
- 1-2 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 cups homemade chicken stock or water
- 1 medium yellow onion- diced
- 3 cloves garlic- crushed
- fresh ground pepper and sea salt (to taste)
- Begin by cooking the bacon in a frying pan over low to medium heat (cook to desired crispiness)
- When finished cooking, pour bacon grease into a container, keeping approximately 2 tbsp of it in the pan
- In addition to this, you can also add in 1-2 tbsp of coconut oil if you wish
- Chop up the onion and crush the garlic cloves
- Cook until golden brown in the rendered lard/coconut oil
- Next pour in the chicken broth or water, whichever you choose and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat to medium and add in chopped collard greens, and cover (tip- the leaves are quite large, so I washed, then rolled a few together to chop them = “Chiffonade” cutting technique)
- Cook on this heat, stirring occasionally for approximately 40 minutes, or until completely softened.
- Finally, drain out access liquid and add in crumbled slices of bacon
- Mix together and plate
- Top with fresh ground pepper and sea salt and garnish with several slices of lemon
Let us know how you modified the recipe, leave a comment below or send us your photos!
*adapted from nomnompaleo.com
*photo credits nomnompaleo.com